Specialist facilities for learners with special educational needs
The College is a regional centre that prides itself on its facilities for learners with special education needs. We offer all learners a wide range of development opportunities with a range of full and part-time programmes for those with moderate and multiple learning difficulties and/or disabilities. We currently support over 180 learners either in College campuses or at outreach centres in mid and north Sussex.
Working in partnerships
We partner with organisations in the special education field to develop smooth transition pathways for:
- learners who are leaving mainstream schools with a Statement of SEN
- those who may require high levels of additional learning support
- those who may need extra help with learning and life skills
- those who wish to improve on existing skills and learn new ones
- or who may have experienced difficulties in their previous learning environment and would benefit from the specialist support we can offer.
On campus facilities in the General Vocational Education Faculty include:
- Art workshops where students enjoy activities such as woodwork, pottery and painting
- Fully-equipped training kitchens for developing life and independence skills
- A new sensory garden, developed with the help of the students themselves
- A sensory room, which has enabled Faculty staff to develop an exciting sensory curriculum.
Life and Work Skills
Learners on the Life and Work Skills programme are able to gain experience in our dedicated workshops and have the opportunity to try out a wide range of vocational areas to prepare them for the next level in the College.
Class sizes are kept small so that everyone can get the attention they need, learners are allocated a Personal Tutor to help them plan and succeed in College and Teaching Assistants are on hand to give support in class when needed.
Learners access both the College and the wider local community and may participate in community horticultural projects such as Green Space or Let’s FACE It!
Central Sussex College has a very comprehensive Disability Statement to ensure that all students’ needs are met, including wheelchair access, disabled parking bays and toilets, along with hoisting facilities if required.