Disabled Students' Allowance

What are DSAs?

DSAs are grants to help meet the extra higher education course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability, ongoing health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty like Dyslexia. They help disabled people to study in higher education on an equal basis with other students. They are paid on top of the standard student finance package and don’t have to be paid back. The amount you get depends on the type of extra help you need - not on your household income.

What can DSAs be used for?

They can help pay for: Specialist equipment you need for studying - for example, computer software Non-medical helpers, such as a note-taker, reader or specialist Dyslexia support Extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability Other costs - for example, tapes or Braille paper

Who can get them?

You can apply if you are doing an undergraduate or postgraduate course (including a distance-learning course) that is:

  • Full-time and lasts at least one year
  • Part-time, lasts at least one year and doesn’t take more than twice as long to complete as an equivalent full-time course

Check that you’re eligible

To apply for DSAs, both you and your course must meet certain conditions. Check these before you apply.

Eligibility for student finance

Contact us on

0845 155 0043

(Calls charged at local rate)